Tuesday, June 9, 2009

On the way...

Well as most of you already know we left Florida early Sunday morning, had a pretty uneventful first day, which is a god thing when your driving a vehicle that was made in 1976. We had talked about how long it would be before we saw another Westi on the road, I was betting it wouldn't be until we got to the Grand Canyon, well little do you know we pulled over to chill out for a bit just east of Pensacola and up pulls a '70 VW Westy! I have to say I was pretty impressed with Tina, she knew it was a VW Bus just by the sound it made when it pulled in, she didnt even have to look! Turned out to be this cool couple who where heading back from camping in Alabama and live in Pensacola. Check out this Bus! So on we went, I was hoping to make it 300 or so miles the first day, but turns out we did 475! Which is huge in a westy, at least I think it is, and if you were driving this beast you would think so to. We ended up camping just south of Hattiesburg, Ms. at some campground we stumbled upon while looking for a completely different campground, it was nice and only had two other campers staying! Heres a few pics of our first night...



This is my "Into The Wild" pic.

On Monday as driving across this nothing that is known as northern Louisiana "Charlie" developed a slight sputter, so our day has went pretty much like this, Charlie sputters, we pull over and I work on it, we take off again and go just far enough as to think it must be fixed(maybe 10 or 15 miles) then it starts sputtering again, so we repeat the whole process. But I've reached out to the VW community for help so I think we should be getting this fixed shortly, but even with the sputter we managed to make it to within 10 miles of Texas, which was our goal for the day! And we crossed the Mississippi river today! Which is one of the landmarks that divide this trip in my mind, its goes like this, Ms. River, Dallas, Grand Canyon then Pacific Ocean, thats the four landmark goals that i have set in my mind. Well anyway heres a few pics of the day...

The Mississippi River, or at least a bridge over the Mississippi River
This is the view driving across Louisiana...
So as of now we are in a hotel in Shreveport, but hope to get the westy fixed today, I've got some parts from the local parts store and I'm loaded with knowledge from spending three hours last night reading VW forums, so I feel pretty confident.

1 comment:

  1. sounds great daniel if you have any questions please call or e mail
    you may have to put the phone up to the engine so i can talk to it you know i'm a EOE
    good luck
    bobby

    ReplyDelete